Mark was first elected to Alyn & Deeside in 2001 with over 18,500 votes. He was subsequently re-elected in 2005 and then again in the 2010 General Election. Mark was once again elected in the 2017 with over 23,000 votes.
Mark was born on 3rd October 1962 and was educated at Enfield Grammar School and then went on to study history at the University of Wales, Swansea. He lives in the local village, Llanfynydd, with his wife Sally and two children Max and Oscar, who attend the local school.
Prior to working in Westminster Mark was head of policy at the amalgamated Electrical Engineers Union, where he worked closely with union officials in securing additional work for the Broughton Airbus plant. He is also a former member of the TUC General Council.
In Parliament Mark is the Pairing Whip for the Labour Party and is the chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Stem Cell Transplantation. He champions enhanced animal rights and takes a keen interest in issues related to industry and has campaigned for crucial investment in Airbus. In 2018 Mark was appointed a member of the Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council which advises the United Kingdom's Sovereign.
Currently held offices
- Member, Draft Parliamentary Buildings (Restoration and Renewal) Bill Committee (since 26 Nov 2018)
- Member, Administration Committee (since 30 Oct 2017)
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (since 30 Oct 2017)
- Member, Selection Committee (since 12 Sep 2017)
- Opposition Pairing Whip (Commons) (since 7 Oct 2011)
- Chari of the All-party parliamentary group on Stem Cell Transplantation.
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee of Selection (12 Sep 2017 to 12 Sep 2017)
- Member, Administration Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Palace of Westminster (Joint Committee) (16 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Committee of Selection (17 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Administration Committee (23 Jan 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Speaker’s Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 8 Nov 2011)
- Member, Committee of Selection (13 Oct 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (8 Oct 2010 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (14 Nov 2007 to 18 Nov 2007)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (2 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Human Rights (Joint Committee) (22 Jan 2007 to 6 Nov 2007)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (29 Nov 2005 to 6 Nov 2007)
- PPS (Rt Hon Dawn Primarolo, Paymaster General), HM Treasury (10 Nov 2005 to 6 Sep 2006)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)