Mark Tami MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk

Mark Tami MP has urged Alyn & Deeside residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign has found that 16.4 million households in the UK could be at risk of poisoning if they don’t have an alarm in their home which will warn them of the poisonous gas.

As carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste, installing an audible alarm that sounds when the gas is present is the only way to make sure you are protected. It can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler, cooker or fire – which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation.

Mark Tami MP, said:

“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. I would urge every resident to make sure that they and their loved ones are protected by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm and ensuring that all fuel burning appliances are serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.”

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep households safe:

  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. It should meet European standard EN50291 (you can find this on the alarm and/or packaging). Carbon Monoxide alarms are a similar size to smoke alarms and only take a few minutes to fit
  •  Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by an appropriately qualified and registered engineer
  •  Don’t block ventilation and have chimneys swept at least once a year
  •  Know the main symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and loss of consciousness and watch out for soot or yellow/brown staining on or around your appliance or pilot lights that blow out frequently